We read to know we are not alone. – CS Lewis
Attendance in book clubs is about a love of reading and the desire to share a passion for and insight into, the written word. But it’s also about a night out.
Being a Kelowna, BC club, our answer to the plea to party was easy: wine. We believe in celebrating how the fabulous fermented grape has graced our valley with its bounty and our conversations with giddy insight.
We meet once a month (except December, July, & August when we only have time to wine). The member who has selected that month’s book plays hostess and researcher, responsible for supplying the food and drink. All of it. Plus insight into the author, background of the book, and any other facts that might facilitate any dynamic discussion the wine does not.
Our rules are simple:
- Members agree to read (or at least attempt to read) the month’s selection
- Members agree to converse about the wine, the food, their husbands, their dogs, whether Winner’s has any great dresses; sex, travel, work, sometimes their children. And the book.
- Members agree not to judge the hostess on her home, her hair, her outfit, and most of all, her selection of appetizers. If she serves carefully crafted crostini topped with fresh herbs and tomatoes from her garden or she picks up that incredible foccacia from Costco (homemade–just not by you–as Vikki says) so long as members are fed, and wine is served, all are equal.
- Members agree to contribute $10 each meeting to be eligible for that month’s draw of a $20 gift card to a local bookstore, the remainder of the collected monies to be donated to Project Literacy Kelowna.
- Members agree to encourage one another and the powerful connections made through a shared love of literature…living…and laughing… out loud.
Read, eat, drink & Laugh Out Loud with us!